DIY backing cover plate for Eufy doorbell

Make your own backing cover plate for a Eufy doorbell (DIY)
I recently upgraded my old LaView doorbell to a Eufy 2K Pro doorbell.  The Eufy is a tad slimmer and exposed some of the roughed up exterior wall.  Not only was it unsightly, but if you looked from the side, you could actually see and potentially pull out the power cables using something like a paper clip.  I looked online for some wall backplates and found some on Amazon with names like Wasserstein or Vomenc.  But most of these were for Ring or Blink doorbells.  I just needed something simple.  At first, I thought to find a piece of generic black plastic, but then found an almost perfect match.

View after initial mounting with exposed holeYou can just use a simple light switch plate that costs less than $1 at a home improvement store.  The screw holes almost line up perfectly - I ended up screwing one in at a slight angle and it was fine.  Also, I opted to use some stronger screws I had on hand than the ones included.  Those were so easy to strip and are a bit too short for my comfort - it feels like you could easily pull out the unit altogether.  The release mechanism is not secure enough.  I would prefer a better method of securing the doorbell to the mounting plate.  

Getting back to this DIY mount, the main thing you'll want to do is widen the center opening a bit for ease of screwing in the power wires.  It might be possible, if your wires are long enough, that you don't need to modify the opening at all.  



The end result is better than I imagined. For now, the finish of the wall plate and the doorbell look so similar that it looks like the backing plate came with the doorbell. I imagine the color of finish of the wall plate may fade faster than the doorbell due to the sun and weather. We'll see how it holds up. For less than $1 and a few minutes of work, I think the effort was worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Domain registrar pricing comparison (2014)

How to block the Admiral anti ad-block detection message

usoclient.exe in Windows 10 wakes up my PC with Wake Source: Unknown